Friday, March 13, 2015

Kings of Summer

In order to do research for elements to incorporate into my film I looked for films with a similar topic. Based on the summary for "Kings of Summer" it seemed to be a similar concept to the one I had. Kings of Summer is an independent comedic drama from director Jordan Vogt-Roberts. It stars three young actors playing the leads along side people like Nick Offerman and Alison Brie. The previews had a light hearted feel to it but also some clear serious themes that it wanted to tackle. Today I finished watching the movie and overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There was a lot in this film that I hope to model in my film. The three boys make their own home in the middle of the woods. This is an undisclosed location only the three of them know and it acts as their escape from society and their parents. This idea of a safe-zone for the characters to go was very central to the plot. I want a similar base for the character in my film. Some place to go to that would be shown at the end of the opening. The home would be sloppily put together like the one in this movie.  Since my character has turned to theft and being technically homeless the small home would be filled with some of the things he has collected.

Another element I want to incorporate is the humor. The entire cast was fun and relatable. Particularly the character Biaggio who played the weird kid that takes the situation very seriously. The consistent humor kept the film light and fun. It helped distract from some of the film's short comings. This seemed to have worked as I remember more about the funny parts over the serious conflicts that were left unanswered. Ultimately the ending did not really tie any ends up as nothing really changed compared to the beginning. The humor I can use will hopefully come through in my character's actions as he encounters situations.

Ultimately the film was highly enjoyable and helpful in giving me ideas on what to incorporate into my final project.






No comments:

Post a Comment