Friday, March 27, 2015

Location, Location, Location

Mise-en-scene is very important in any live-action drama. It helps establish the world that the character lives in. Location is a vital part of mise-en-scene as it sets up the setting. Particularly, my plot for the introduction requires two distinct locations, a middle-class home and an open forest type area. 

The first location was relatively simple to find. Living in a suburban city allows for plenty of middle class homes that are often prey for petty thieves. For this introduction I will be using my own home. The layout allows for variations in shots, from close-ups to wide shots. It also has the ability to shift for what the scene needs. We have plenty of blank areas that can be cleaned up and added to in order to give the appearance of wealth from which our character is stealing from. 

The second location was a little trickier to find. My aim was to find an open clearing in a forest that has a view of a sunrise/sunset. Unfortunately, these types of locations are not easy to come by in South Florida. I did find two public parks that would be relatively close to the description I envisioned. I looked at Markham park's campground first as it fit the forest landscape. However, there was no view of the sunset and it was relatively populated. My shooting time would be very restricted. The sunset was an idea of hopefulness and the coming future that I did not want to give up, so I went to the next location. Regional Park has the most western part of my town, Weston. It overlooks the Everglades, has plenty of open space, and was void of any people when I went. I decided on the latter even though it might be a little more swampy than I preferred. The two pictures in this blog are of this location.






No comments:

Post a Comment